District Allowances

I have a spouse/partner, does this affect the amount of District Allowance I am entitled to?

Yes, provided your spouse/partner is not receiving a district allowance or similar from the same or another employer, then you can claim double the District Allowance rate.

If your partner works part-time and they are therefore receiving a partial district allowance under their award or agreement (ie they are a partial dependent) you can claim the difference between the part time rate they receive and the rate payable under their award or agreement that they would receive if they were working full time. 

NB If your partner is on a period of leave without pay and not receiving any district allowance from their employer during that period then you can claim double your district allowance for that period of time!


Your spouse/partner's income is NOT relevant in regards to whether or not they are entitled to the allowance, only whether or not they are already receiving any district allowance from their employer.

Get More Answers

This is just a sample of all our FAQs - there is a lot more information that only members can access.

Log in to see more.

Not a member? Join here.

Unless otherwise stated, this information currently applies only to members covered by the Public Service and Government Officers General Agreement 2014.
The information contained in these FAQs is intended as general information only and does not constitute legal advice.  You may wish to seek advice from UnionLink on (08) 9323 3800 or [email protected] about your particular circumstances. 
    • Location

      Level 5, 445 Hay Street
      Perth WA 6000

      PO BOX X2252
      Perth WA 6847

      Follow us

    • Contact us

      [email protected]

      UnionLink: 9323 3800
      Regional: 1300 733 800
      Reception: 9323 3800