Higher Duties Allowances

I have been asked to undertake duties which are not on my JDF, am I entitled to be paid an allowance for this?

If you have been asked to undertake these duties instead of those of your own position to fill a temporary vacancy which is at higher classification level than yours for at least 5 days consecutive working days then you are entitled to be paid a higher duties allowance. This is often referred to as “Acting”

If you have been asked to undertake these duties in addition to your own duties for a fixed period and these duties are of a higher classification level then you may be entitled to temporary special allowance for the period you are undertaking the additional duties.  Contact UnionLink on 1300 733 800 or [email protected] for further advice.

If this is a permanent change to your duties then your position may be eligible for reclassification if you can show that these duties are of a higher work value (ie more responsibility, accountability, complexity).  See FAQs on Reclassification on this website for more information on this.

If the duties are in addition to your current duties you need to ensure that you are not being expected to undertake an unacceptable workload.  If you feel that workload will become a problem then you have the right to speak with your line manager about what duties you may be able to cease or give a lower priority to.  Our advice is that you broach this issue sooner rather than later.  You can call UnionLink on 1300 733 800 or [email protected] if you have problems with workload.

Get More Answers

This is just a sample of all our FAQs - there is a lot more information that only members can access.

Log in to see more.

Not a member? Join here.

Unless otherwise stated, this information currently applies only to members covered by the Public Service and Government Officers General Agreement 2014.
The information contained in these FAQs is intended as general information only and does not constitute legal advice.  You may wish to seek advice from UnionLink on (08) 9323 3800 or [email protected] about your particular circumstances. 
    • Location

      Level 5, 445 Hay Street
      Perth WA 6000

      PO BOX X2252
      Perth WA 6847

      Follow us

    • Contact us

      [email protected]

      UnionLink: 9323 3800
      Regional: 1300 733 800
      Reception: 9323 3800